During discovery, we had workshops with stakeholders in order to define needs. Out of this came discovery concepts.
Because of the great detail and business rules, a large amount of care was spent iterating on the IA, which was a smart move. This included the megamenu/nav. design and building out a comprehensive sitemap.
The sitemap was a large deliverable, including pages in both the unauthenticated and authenticated experience as well as the corporate site and blog. For the navigation, we had several discussions where we sticky noted, sketched out, and created and reviewed quick wires to help demonstrate ideas for what a cohesive megamenu could look like in desktop, tablet, and mobile. Other site screens necessitated sketches, wires, reviewing creative, and consulting on the design as we progressed into the creative. We used InVision to quickly prototype on our designs and present to the client, iterating frequently.
How to solve for these use cases while
1. maintaining a cohesive component appearance and
2. maintaining an elegant error handling for the user if location services guessed wrong
– all necessitated discussion, sketching, and iteration of the sitemap, component library, and the UI over several months.
We created over 850 wireframes in over 6 different prototypes through rounds and rounds of design, which, alongside content and component design, defined creative design.
For creative design, we used component based design alongside templates in order to construct our pages. This necessitated a strong style guide.